To comply with the University's Copyright Licensing Agency (CLA) Higher Education Licence, teaching staff must not scan and upload their own copies of published content to Blackboard or iFind Reading. All digital copies must be authorised and made by the Library Scanning Service.
We produce digital copies from published print content so that your students can benefit from online access to high-demand course reading. In line with the University’s Digital Transformation Strategy, we deliver content to support an interactive, engaging, and flexible learning environment. We provide:
We can copy the following amounts:
10% of the total publication
whichever is the greater.
The University's basic licence from the Newspaper Licensing Agency covers copying for teaching and learning purposes from national UK newspapers and 5 regional titles. It does not cover foreign newspapers. For further information about the licence for educational establishments, please visit the NLA Media Access website.
Please allow up to 5 working days for your request to be fulfilled.
Additional time may be required for content that is on loan or pending purchase by the Library.
When digitisation is complete, you will receive an email containing a URL link to the PDF digital copy. You can use this link to create a Web Link for your students in Blackboard (How to Create a Blackboard Web Link).
If you have requested digitisation from your iFind Reading List, then your reading list's citation will update automatically with a link to 'View Online'. Your students can click this to access the digital copy directly.
Textbook substitution - No combination of digital or photocopied extracts should make purchasing core module textbooks unnecessary. We monitor reading lists for potential textbook substitution when processing digitisation requests. The CLA has created a Good Practice Guide for avoiding textbook substitution.
The Document Supply Services team can provide advice and support with:
Information on copyright can be found on the Copyright Library Guide
1. Click on an item in your list.
2. Scroll down and click Digitization request *
3. Enter your required chapter number, title, and page numbers
4. Enter any additional requirements in the Note fields.
5. Click Submit to send your request.
When digitisation is complete, your reading list item will update and display a link to 'View Online'. We will also notify you by email.
* If the digitisation request option is unavailable, please ensure that your reading list is associated to a module. If it is still unavailable, please contact the Library Scanning Service.
iFind Reading Lists support student digital experience by providing direct access to electronic content, live information on item availability, and integrated request options.
Click on the About iFind Reading tab at the top of this guide to get started on creating your list. For additional assistance, please contact your Library Subject Team.
You can log in to the form here: CLA Request Form
1. If you are requesting digitisation for the first time, please contact the Library Scanning Service (email or phone +44 (0)1792 295045) with your name and university staff email address so that we can authorise your account.
2. After we have authorised your account, go to the form log-in page, select New User, and follow the instructions to set up your password.
3. Once you have a password, you will be able to log in at any time to complete a form and submit your request.
Please see additional guidance from the CLA on accessing and completing the Academic Request Form.