Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
This page gives information for search for thesis for your research. For further information on submiting your thesis please visit our Theses guide.
Finding Swansea University Theses
Access the Swansea University E-Theses collection from Cronfa, the repository.
- Cronfa E-Theses contains many recent full-text electronic doctoral level theses. A few E-Theses are barred from public access for up to five years.
- Swansea University Library undertook a digitisation project to make 1000 items from the historic thesis collection of PhD and MPhil dissertations available online. This project provides universal access to some of our vibrant research collections and electronic full-text items are available via Cronfa, the repository, and the ProQuest Dissertations and Theses Global service. Our content joins the 2.3 million ProQuest dissertations provided by every major research library in the world. Some of our collection is also held in the British Library EThOS e-theses online service.
Update: Physical copies of theses from our collection are not currently available due to COVID-19 restrictions
The Library holds physical copies of most Swansea University theses at doctorate level and some masters.
- We do not usually keep third year projects, dissertations etc., although the South Wales Miners' Library holds some diploma work.
- Theses for most subjects are held in a closed store in the Singleton Park Library.
- The South Wales Miners' Library also has a small collection of DACE theses as well as some dissertations.
Information about all theses received by the library can be found on iFind, the library catalogue.
In the iFind search box, enter your topic keyword search and the words: swansea thesis. You can then use the Refine bar to limit to a range of years or particular Colleges. If you are particularly interested in recent theses you can change the Sort by menu at the top of the results list to Date descending to bring the most recent to the top.
The physical theses collection is restricted to the Library building for reference purposes only.
- If you wish to consult a thesis, give the author, title and year of the thesis to staff at the Library Information Desk. ISS staff will collect the item for you from the closed store. The thesis will be issued to your library card as a restricted item. Return the item to the Library Desk (or self-return machine) when you have finished with it and it will be discharged from your library card.
- Respecting copyright: you may copy no more than one complete chapter or 10% of the total, whichever is greater.
- A few theses are barred from public access for up to five years - this is usually because the work has commercial potential and the student has obtained permission from the University not to make it public straight away. If this happens there will be a note on the record giving the date when the information will be released. No one will be allowed to read the thesis before that date.
- DSc. and D.Litt theses for all subjects are kept in the Library and Information Centre. Please ask for them at the Library Desk.
EThOS has been created to offer a single point of access to UK theses and plays a significant role in showcasing UK research to the world. EThOS, which is hosted by the British Library, lists the theses awarded by all UK universities and estimates over 95% of all theses ever written are now included.
Proquest Dissertations & Theses Global
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global is the world's most comprehensive collection of dissertations and theses from around the world, spanning from 1743 to the present day and offering 24-page full text previews for graduate works added since 1997, along with selected previews for works written prior to 1997. It contains a significant amount of new international dissertations and theses both in citations and in full text.
Theses Collection Wales
The Theses Collection Wales includes approximately 50,000 theses and dissertations which have been presented for postgraduate degrees in higher educational institutions in Wales. The collection comprises theses and dissertations arising from all PhD and research Masters degrees, as well as taught Masters dissertations which have a Welsh interest or have gained a distinction.
International E-Theses Resources
If a thesis is not available online you can apply for an Inter Library Loan of a thesis. Contact Document Supply for more details.