Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
SERVICE UPDATE (COVID-19)
Due to the ongoing situation with COVID-19 and consequent restrictions at both Swansea University and external organisations, Document Supply Services are now providing services remotely.
- We are no longer able to supply interlibrary loans of physical books, but document supply requests will be fulfilled in electronic format where possible. You will be advised if your request is not available in electronic format.
- All current interlibrary loans have been renewed until 23rd October 2020 at no charge to users.
- Please use our online request form to make requests. Document Supply staff will continue to respond to email enquiries, but we will be unavailable by phone.
- If you are a course instructor and require an outsourced copy of a chapter or article for teaching purposes, please make a digitisation request.
Document Supply Service
Connecting You to Content
If you need essential content for your research and it is not held by Swansea University libraries, then we can obtain an interlibrary loan or copy from another library for you. You can make a request if:
- You are the end-user of the content and require it for private study and non-commercial research only.
- Your required content is not already available via iFind or freely and legally accessible online via Open Access.
It is free to make a request, but please be aware that there is a cost to the Library for each supplied loan or copy. Casual requests are therefore discouraged.
Your request may be supplied by British Library On Demand. When registering with On Demand for the first time, please allow 5 minutes between completing registration and downloading your document.
Instructions for downloading your British Library On Demand order
We can obtain:
- Book loans
- Journal articles (a copy of 1 article per journal issue)
- Book chapters (a copy of 1 chapter per book)
- Conference papers
- Some dissertations and theses*
We cannot usually obtain:
- Multiple articles from a single journal issue. You may request a loan of the journal issue instead.
- Books published within the last year.
- E-pub ahead of print articles. These are typically only available for purchase direct from the publisher.
- British standards, overseas standards and patents. These are usually available electronically and can only be purchased at high cost.
- Pre-1900 material
*Dissertations & Theses
Check British Library EThOS (UK theses) and ProQuest Dissertations & Theses (International theses) for free and subscribed access to e-theses before making a request. If a thesis has not previously been digitised and we are unable to obtain a loan, then you may be able to purchase a copy via these services:
Due to high cost, the library is unable to subsidise the purchase of theses.
For information on accessing Swansea University theses, please see the E-Theses and Theses Library Guide.
Interlibrary Loan Policy Update (as of 02/09/19):
- Overdue interlibrary loans will incur a fee of £1 per day.
- Uncollected interlibrary loans will incur a fee of £10. We have introduced this fee to minimise waste expenditure caused by a high volume of uncollected loans.
|Loan / Copy Requests
Renewal 1: Free
Renewal 2: £5
||£1 per day
|Uncollected Loan Fee
|Lost Loan Replacement Fee
||£182.80 (British Library default fee)
Requests are usually fulfilled within the following times:
However, lender supply times can vary and we advise allowing up to 10 working days for your request to be fulfilled.
To cancel a request, please contact us as soon as possible.
Loans are delivered to your requested pick-up library and you will receive an email when they are ready to collect.
Loan periods are determined by the lending library, but you will usually have up to 4 weeks. Please also be aware that some loans may be restricted for consulting in the library only.
Uncollected interlibrary loans will incur a fee of £10. We have introduced this fee to minimise waste expenditure caused by a high volume of uncollected loans.
Article and chapter copies
A digital copy will be delivered to your university email address. If we cannot obtain a digital copy, then a paper copy will be delivered to your requested pick-up library.
Copies supplied by British Library On Demand
You will receive a download link from email@example.com. The link will expire 30 days from supply, so we recommend downloading your document as soon as possible.
Instructions for downloading your British Library On Demand Order
Interlibrary loans do not automatically renew. To request a renewal, please contact Document Supply Services by email or phone +44 (0)1792 295045.
Renewal 1: Free
Renewal 2: £5.00 per loan (added to library account)
Please allow time for your renewal request to be processed. Renewal is subject to lender permission and loans may be recalled at any time.
Make a Document Supply Request
Document Supply Request Form
Request a loan, a chapter, or an article copy for private study and non-commercial research.
Submit a Request
NEW REQUEST FORM: Welcome to our new online request form. If you would like to provide feedback, please contact DSCS@swansea.ac.uk. Thank you.
Search for Open Access Content
Open Access Button
Find free, legal, full-text Open Access content.
Powered by Open Access Button
Request Digitised Content for Teaching
Library Scanning Service
Request digitisation of content for your reading list and Canvas. This is a staff-focused service to support the provision of copyright-compliant teaching material.
Find out more
Lending to Other Libraries
How to request material:
Requests for photocopies or the loan of material held by Swansea University can be initiated by emailing us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or to our postal address. Please include your contact phone number, postal and email address with each request. If you are a customer from the UK, please provide your British Library account number with each request.
Copies – £9.80 + VAT
Loans – £15.80
CONARLS members are charged the current rate for the scheme.
We accept IFLA vouchers as payment for international loans or photocopies.
- Loan – 3 IFLA
- Copy – 2 IFLA
All items are loaned for a period of six weeks and are renewable for a further six weeks unless otherwise indicated. Some items may be restricted for use only within your institution, e.g. theses. Please check our catalogue before requesting material to make sure that it can be borrowed.
We will lend:
- Books printed after 1900 (subject to item condition)
- MA theses, for restricted use in your institution (UK libraries only). Non-UK libraries may request an estimate for supplying a photocopy of a thesis.