Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Finding Open Access Content
Using repositories as sources of supply for free online access to scholarly publications.
Increasingly full-text peer reviewed research articles are available through institutional and subject repositories. Open access resources can be used to find published information swiftly and often without cost. Open access material includes journal articles, scholarly and scientific monographs, educational resources, metadata, digitised material and research data.
- Cronfa - Swansea University institutional repository
- Cronfa E-Theses - Swansea University open access theses
- Swansea Vision Swansea University Computer Vision & Machine Learning Group
- African Journals Online provides access to scholarly research publications from Africa
- arXiV - Open access research papers in physics and related disciplines. This is a subject pre-print service
- BASE (Bielefeld Academic Search) - Access over 120 million documents from 6000+ sources. >60% of indexed full text documents are available via open access
- bioRxiv - This is a subject pre-print service for Biology
- CogPrints – Self-archived papers in Psychology, Neuroscience, and Linguistics, Philosophy, Biology
- CORE - Aggregating the world’s open access research papers
- DOAB - Discover Open Access books
- DOAJ - Directory of Open Access Journals
- Europe PMC - Search worldwide, life-sciences literature
- HathiTrust Digital Library - Search a collection of millions of digitised titles from Libraries worldwide
- NORA - NERC Open Research Archive
- PubMed - Free MEDLINE clinical science and medicine database. Some free articles available
- redalyc.org provides access to research published across Latin America and the Caribbean
- RePEc – Research Papers in Economics
- SocArXiv - open Archive of the Social Sciences. This is a subject pre-print service
- Unpaywall - An open database for free scholarly articles. Get an Add-on for your browser to automatically check for legal open access articles
- 1Findr - Curated collection of peer-reviewed articles in Science
Disciplinary and multi disciplinary repositories
- OAD - An extensive list of OA disciplinary repositories or subject repositories is available via the Open Access Directory (OAD) site.
Preprint manuscripts are the Author's Original Manuscript (AOM) before journal peer-review. There are many online subject pre-print repositories which contain early versions of research articles. Some academic disciplines commonly use preprint repositories, e.g ArXiv, SocArXiv etc.
Open Access Books
DOAB: Directory of Open Access Books: Search for full text books.
Open Educational Resources
- OER Commons is a high quality public digital library providing content from a worldwide community of educators.
- MERLOT The MERLOT system provides access to curated online learning and support materials and content creation tools, led by an international community of educators, learners and researchers. View the YouTube introduction.
Swansea University Open Research Data
- Zenodo for the Swansea University Open Research Data Community
Search for Open Access Articles
Open Access Button
Find free, legal, full text open access articles
Google Dataset Search (beta)
Swansea University Open Access Journals
IJDPS - International Journal of Population Data Science
The International Journal of Population Data Science (IJPDS) is an electronic, open-access, peer-reviewed journal focussing on the science pertaining to population data.
It publishes articles on all aspects of research, development and evaluation connected with data about people and populations.
An inter-disciplinary, peer-reviewed e-journal dedicated to contemporary re-imaginings of the nineteenth century in Literature, the Arts and Humanities.